Sunday, April 29, 2012

Other World Chapter Three: Leaving so Soon?


A gloomy echoed as I open my eyes I was in a different Dimension, the place was covered with Pandemonium and on where I’m standing was a road to nowhere.  I heard voices coming all over the place and it keeps saying some words such as harsh and humiliations talking about how fail I am and echoed it into the place.

Then the voices suddenly turned into laughter as they were laughing at me. I try to cover my ears and panic but the voices won’t stop. I try to shut it off but it’ll only get worse as it feels like it’s getting louder.  I try to emptied my mind when suddenly, I heard some kids playing and when I opened my eyes it was morning already, the sun was shining on the closed windows that the curtain covers, it’s only a dream. I sighed in relief and stand up to look outside the window and I saw some children, playing along tag and some sort of games outside not too far from them was some grownups who were talking about their daily lives and to the right was an old guy sweeping the street. I watched the 3 kids as they play along on the ball. They were really happy about it. It feels like I wanted to play with them. I never experienced playing in groups or rather some sort of that ever since I was a kid.  I watched them as they play, the cap-wearing kid was the first one to kick the ball and he kicks it very high that the two didn’t even have a chance to catch it and it ended up into Mikari’s yard.

I hear a door bell after a few seconds probably them.

“Mika-neechan!”  The three yell in calling Mikari.

They keep pushing the door bell but Mikari won’t answer. I guess she leaves her house without me knowing so I try to open the door and pick up their ball and give it back to them but it was the opposite on what I suppose to be expecting. As I open the gates. They we’re all surprised to see me rather than Mikari.

“O_O” they we’re all petrified and frightened. “A burglar! There’s a Burglar! And he got our ball” They panic. “n-no wait I’m n-not a b-burglar! “. I defended myself but the little girl just screamed. I tried to stop them but they will only run-away to their parents. W-what shall I do?  If they soon tell their parents that I’m a burglar I might be accused as one since I’m a stranger here. But there’s no proof and I only need Mikari to be here to defend me from accusing but where is she?

“Burglar! Burglar!” they keep yelling and it makes some of the grownups to take notice it and glanced this way.
I was petrified and scared that I might be put into trouble when suddenly a voice came by.

“What’s with all this mess? Oh! Tarou-chan you’re up!” Mikari said as she comes from the right.

“Mikari...” I said as I look at her. Mikari is carrying a bag of fruits and bread while wearing another cute outfit.

“-Mika-neechan! Watch out! There’s a Burglar!” The three kids shouted.

“Where?” She looks sideways.

“Him!!!” The cap-wearing kid pointed his index finger on me.

“Oh no! It’s not a Burglar it’s my friend Tarou-chan” she giggled and smile.

“T-Tarou-chan???” They all questioned it to themselves as if my name was too foreign to theirs.

“haha! At the moment there I really thought there was a real Burglar but it’s only you Tarou-chan” she laughed puts a really optimist look.

“uhm…” I was distracted by her innocent smile and she seems kinda cute when she smiles not to mention her moe.

“Tarou-chan, are you blushing again?” She asked me with questioning eyes.

“u-uhm.. no! no I’m not!” Crap, I’m letting my guard down again. I slowly look downward to hide my face.

“Okay then! Why not start helping me by opening the gates so I can put this thing I brought up inside” she said.

She definitely change the topic. Mikari must have some great understandings. I took a little nod and open the gates as the kids go back in playing on the streets. I intend to help her carrying the foods she brought but I’m afraid she might reject my offer of helping her.

“umm. Tarou chan?” Mikari asked with a little worry on her face. Possibly worry about me.

“Yes?”

“Can you help me carry this bread ^_^” She asked while putting a big smile. Mikari seems to be quite a mind reader for all knowing that she tends to know about what I currently wanted to do.

I nodded as a response and help her carry the bag of bread while her on the fruits.

As I opened the door we put the bag of fruits and bread in the dining table and we start talking.

“Sorry about earlier” she said. “The townspeople have very suspicious thoughts about Burglars these days and you were really an outsider so that might put them into a conclusion that you were some sort of a bad guy but you’re not” she talks as she prepares the fruits in the kitchen.

“T-thanks for always looking up on me but where’d have you been?” I asked her.

“oh! I went to the fruit store to buy some foods. Because I know you’re going to stay here for long”

“L-long? N-no…Sorry but I need to go now, my dad might be dead worried by now if I haven’t got home by noon so please thanks again for your help you’re such a kind person” I said while heading to the front door and to wear my shoes.

“B-but…”- Mikari replied but stopped when she heard the door squeak open.

I quickly open the door and closed it as I went outside and opened the gates as well and closed it. I walk towards to the grownups who we’re gossiping and the ball suddenly stops on my foot, it’s from the kids who we’re playing earlier.

“Oh-h b-burg-“the white t-shirted kid frightened and was about to panic. “No! He’s not a burglar he’s Mika-neechan’s friend, Tarou-niichan.  The little girl said. “We-were sorry about earlier Tarou-nii-san” The cap-wearing kid says and smiled while putting his both arms crossed to show authority.

“No it’s okay ^_^” I smiled as I kick back the ball gently towards them. “I better go now, take care all of you”.

“Take care! Tarou-nii-chan!” The little girl said while the other two we’re waving their hands on me then they all back in playing again. Hearing those words of “Take care” was a bit happy to me since it’s been a while since I last heard someone saying that kind of word to me it puts a smile on my face and headed to the Grownups.

Now to go forward and ask directions. I begun to ask directions to them but none of them knew where “Akibahara” is.  I next ask the old guy who we’re sweeping the streets yet he didn’t know that place too so it’s up to me to find my way back. I first walk my way into the sidewalk and I noticed that there are many people roaming around the streets now. So I asked directions to anyone who feels they can be trusted but they didn’t even know where “Akibahara” is. All they know was that I might find my way into the train station because there’s a map there that shows the whole area of Hessongkyo, I might found what I am looking for there according to them.

So I walk a couple of miles following the directions that the townspeople had told me. According to them I should turn right after seeing the blue house in the Gangkuen S.t and turned left after reaching the intersection. There might be a sign that show’s Train station there so I’ll just follow it. According to the direction they gave, it might take long if I walk so I need to find a taxi to get there in time but I don’t have a sufficient money left, All was left was this 19 yen coins a change on the medicine I brought. Speaking of medicine, I checked my pockets for medicine but there’s no medicine I found. I think forgot to bring it and it was left it in Mikari’s house after being in a hurry but turning back was like a long way and the only way for me is to go home by the train station I’ll just go buy dad another medicine once I get home so I won’t need to be worry. As I walk my way towards the train station sign. There’s a sign that says “HESSONGKYO TRAIN STATION 2KM away”.

I follow the arrow pointing on the Train Station sign that leads me below the overpass that cover’s the sunlight and while walking, I noticed that I haven’t eat anything yet this morning; I should have at least eat in Mikari’s house first before leaving after all, she brought a couple of fruits just for me. I feel guilty for what I have done earlier. I checked my pockets to manage finding something good and valuable, either its money or it’s a candy and I successfully find some candies that were still good to eat even though it was soaked up yesterday.  My stomach growls as I ate the three candies and throw the wrapper somewhere else.

“Hey! Kid! Don’t throw your wrappers here” a Middle-aged male voice coming from the side of a Dumpster.

I looked back my right and I saw a big tanned bearded guy wearing green checkered apron and a gray t-shirt while wearing jeans and has a chef hat probably a baker with fluffy gloves and was holding a tray with a leftover cake that was supposed to be throwing away, seems to me that this guy was working on a Bakery Shop.  He looked at me with fierce eyes as it was like I have done something wrong.

“Oh S-Sorry!” I apologized and quickly picked up the wrappers I’ve thrown.

“*sigh =_=* what we’re you thinking. Kids this day’s” He sighed as he slide the left over foods in the dumpster.

I put my candy wrappers into my pocket and start walking without minding that he was so strict yet he cares for the environment too.

Not too far from where I was walking my stomach growls again as if was like the candies that I ate wasn’t enough but my money is short and Mikari’s place was like too far now and I’m now close to my destination. I suddenly remember that the baker guy threw some left over cake in the dumpster also with the tray which left me into a weird and awkward option. To eat that, but I think my mind resist on being stupidity so I resist being hungry and promise that I’ll eat once I get home.

I choose to continue walking and endure the pain; I’m not that poor and hungry enough to eat one in the dumpster and I can still managed to walk so I’ll be fine.

A few minutes later and I reached the Train station. I was so drench in sweat because of the heat and the miles of walking towards here I finally make it. I rest my feet on the first bench I saw and sat there to check my remaining money. 19 Yen isn’t enough but I still need to get home.

I wait a few seconds before going back on my feet and find the map. I noticed that the Train station was empty as it was deserted like. I keep searching and searching until I find the map and I finally saw it. It’s a big Bulletin Board consist of the whole Area of Hessongkyo. Sadly it’s only Hessongkyo and there’s no such thing as “Akibahara” or any place that was near or familiarly close to my place.

I kneel down and cover my eyes with my arms. All of my effort in going here was wasted. I waste my time going here and what’s the worst thing could happen? My dad. I remained silent for a while as the tree breezes, suddenly. A familiar voice stops the moment.

“TAROU-CHAN!!!!” a Voice coming from the entrance. It’s Mikari but h-how did she find me?

“Mikari” I was surprised to see her here.

“Were you supposed to be home? And how’d you find me?” I asked her with a little bit of scolding.

“I went out as soon as you left but I don’t know where you go. Good thing some kids there knows where you go and I begun to ask them the same to the other people that I encounter.”

“Oh yeah, You forgot this!” Mikari gave me the medicine I left at her home while catching her breath.

“W-what the heck are you doing running outside and getting lost again” Mikari scold me but she seems a bit of worry.

“I-I’m sorry, I was worried a-about my dad” I told her.
She grabbed my arms and forced me to stand.

“Look at you, you look so tired there and you haven’t even taken any snacks with you”. She said. “H-here take this and let’s go home” she hands me a bread and I munch it as if was like I was so hungry. She wiped my face with her handkerchief and puts a smile on her face. “There! All better!” she said calmly.

I followed her all the way to her home and started to talk. Without wondering, I feel a lot of eyes are glaring at us.

“Uhm. Mikari, Why are you always helping me around?” I asked her straightforwardly.

“Well, I like helping people that’s all ^_^” She smiles and maintain her optimistic attitude.

That simply puts me to smile a little.

 “Oh yeah Tarou-chan, did I ever told you that you’re not in your World Anymore?” she looked at me with a Determined eyes.

“…y-your making it sounds like a joke again” I replied with a tired and unbelieving tone.

“Mufufufu” She giggled and didn’t recognize the words I spoke.

“don’t worry, Tarou-chan, My Grandma used to tell me stories about Parallel Worlds or what we call Other World. She told me that when you visit Other Worlds the time between in that World and your current World is different. It may be lapse just for 5 minutes per 1 year I guess, but that was only a story but it’s not bad at believing those. It might help you feel relief that you’re not eating your time to your current World and maybe someday. We might find a portal back to it.”

Thinking about it I paused for a moment. I realized that I was no longer in my World. Everything’s clear to me now. That’s why the Map of Hessongkyo and the names of the places are pretty different it’s because I’m not in my world but the thing that how I end up here was still unknown to me and I need to figure it out that’s my only key in getting this out.

We we’re talking about then until we reached her house.

After we reach the house, I rest my feet and sighed in comfort. I rest my mind for a moment and forgetting what will happen on my dad I take a short nap after that. Few hours have passed and I feel okay now. I stand up and walked towards the Kitchen where I saw many fruits that was served in the table and I saw Mikari sitting there chopping some bananas for dessert.

“I see you finally calmed down” she said.

“Y-yeah, I was thinking about that my dad will be fine since my aunt will visit us tomorrow I just remembered and I think she might take care of him when she notices that I’m gone, For a while.” I said.

“oh! well look! Everything’s okay now At-least you won’t need to worry about your dad anymore” she said cheerfully.

“Well, I guess your right” I smiled and sit next to her. “w-won’t you mind if I help you?” I said in a bashful manner.

“Well, as long as you want it” she smiled at me and let me pass the apple and the mango. “There, Peel it and sliced it as much as you want and put it on the blender”.

“ok”.

I started peeling the Mangoes and later on the apples it didn’t took me long to finished peeling the fruits she gave me and I feel like going to the bathroom so I asked a permission to use their bathroom.

“C-can I use your B-bathroom?” I said.

“You may” She just smiled and said two words.

I went to the Living room first to go to the bathroom then I saw her teddy bear on the sofa. I didn’t notice it much at first but as I went to pick it up. It was covered in stitches in the belly and the other eye was gone. But I know that Mikari tends to patch things up when it was broken but how come this teddy bear doesn’t have complete eyes. I put down the teddy bear on where I saw it and headed to the Bathroom located in the back of the living room. And I went there to use it. After using it, I flushed it down, wash my hands and headed back to the kitchen but this time. I saw an old Bookshelf. And as I look closer I saw an old family picture, it was covered with some stain and I saw Mikari there. I bet this was her family. Come to think of it, I haven’t even met Mikari’s parents yet. And I have no clue about it here since yesterday. Mikari was still young but how come her parents let her abandoned herself here.

I headed back to the kitchen then I saw Mikari. She was putting all the chopped-peeled fruits in the blender now. And it’s my time to ask her about her parents.

“Welcome back” Mikari smiles.

“Y-yeah I’m back.. Uhm.. Mikari..”  I asked.

“Yes….?” She replied.

“Uhm.. Don’t be mad on what will I asked.. If you don’t want to answer please don’t answer but…………w-what happened to your parents? I mean where are they? You haven’t yet told me about them since the moment we met” I asked.

Mikari paused a moment and she isn’t happy about what she hears.

“D-do you want to know?” she asked while remaining a very unhappy face. She seems not so happy and I haven’t seen Mikari to be so unhappy like this.

“o-o-of course.. if you wanted to…” I said.

Mikari remains silent for a few seconds and an awkward atmosphere draws between us.


Mikari:  Well it all started last Summer… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.